Young Adults (18-39 years)
If you are young and healthy, let’s make sure you stay that way. Preventive care is the best way to promote wellness and to identify any problems early, when more treatment options and better outcomes are likely.
It is important to have a yearly check-up with a physical examination, blood pressure check, and lab work, if necessary. A review of healthy habits and screening for common mental health conditions is also part of an annual visit. Many illnesses do not show symptoms, but can be identified by your healthcare provider during a routine wellness exam.
To prepare for your annual check-up, discuss your family medical history with your relatives and if you are younger than 25, know your vaccination history, if possible. An annual visit often includes a cholesterol check, so do not eat or drink anything other than water or black coffee for 8 hours before your appointment. If you have questions, try to write them down before your appointment so you don’t forget. We are ready to answer your questions and work collaboratively to keep you healthy.
Middle Aged Adults (40-64 years)
After age 40, additional screenings for cancer and asymptomatic chronic conditions, like high cholesterol and high blood pressure, are recommended. Your annual check-up is important, and it’s the best way to identify any health problems early, when treatment is more successful.
For each annual visit, please do not eat or drink anything other than water or black coffee for 8 hours before your appointment. It is helpful if you arrive with some important information:
- Family medical history
- List of medications you are currently taking, if any
- List of health questions to discuss with your healthcare provider, if any
- If you are over 50, please know the date of your last colon cancer screening and results
- For women, please know the date of your last mammogram and PAP smear test. If you are due for a PAP smear, it can be done during your wellness visit. There is a mammogram facility in the building, and if you would like to schedule your screening for the same day as your wellness exam, please let us know in advance.
- For men, please know the date of your last prostate screening test and any family history of prostate cancer.
Seniors (65 years and older)
An annual wellness visit is recommended for all Medicare patients. This visit is specific to Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, and includes a review of necessary preventive care, and screening for falls, depression and dementia. This visit will take longer than other visits with your healthcare provider.
If you have a family member who helps manage your medical conditions, please ask them to be available by phone during the time of your visit, if possible.
It is helpful if you arrive with some important information:
- Medications or a list of medications you are currently taking
- Names of any specialist physicians you see
- Vaccination and cancer screening history
- The date of your last cholesterol screening. Medicare covers cholesterol screening every 5 years, unless you have diabetes or high cholesterol.
- Medical Power of Attorney or Advance Directive forms, if you have them. We will upload them to your chart and return the forms to you